Mission Statement & Philosophy
Epstein Hillel School is a co-educational K-8 Jewish independent day school that nurtures independent thinking in our students through an academically challenging program grounded in Judaism.
EHS offers a unique, engaging educational experience that provides students with a lifelong foundation for learning, leadership, responsibility, and respect for self and others.
Epstein Hillel School’s philosophy is based on the belief that when the social and emotional needs of students are met, they perform better in the classroom. To that end, our primary focus is on creating a safe, encouraging environment in which students are comfortable challenging themselves and taking risks with the guidance of their teachers. Through a Jewish lens, we foster academic excellence and promote an environment of inquiry and reflection, kindness and empathy, as well as a deep and meaningful understanding of the world around us.
Expeditionary, or what is commonly called experiential, learning is central to EHS’s belief in the importance of making students’ work both relevant to their lives and a gift to the greater community. Learning by doing gives students a realistic context that learning by listening cannot replicate. This helps develop the instinct, judgment, confidence, and independent thinking that assure the success of Hillel graduates in high school and beyond.
We accomplish this by:
- Offering a strong, progressive, and personalized general studies curriculum that is challenging, purposeful, and relevant
- Following an integrated dual-language program emphasizing culture, calendar, and values, mimicking the rhythm of Jewish life
- Emphasizing and integrating communal and global responsibility into the overall learning experience across all grades
- Engaging in mixed-age learning where it’s developmentally appropriate and adds to the academic and social dynamic
- Teaching skills that carry our graduates successfully through high school, college, and the 21st century workplace
- Facilitating intellectual conversation and respectful dialogue in the classroom, igniting the the spark of learning.